Saturday, December 17, 2005

Valentine's Day

Tell me, Oh my Valentine,
how do I wish thee!

When the world is full of sores and pains,
When the days are long devoid of rains,
When beside me crawl exploiters
Of cold blooded veins,
Unbound and free-
Tell me, Oh my Valentine,
How do I wish thee!

With what flowers do I tribute
When there are thorns,thorns all while,
When the child at my next door
Has forgotten her smile,
When for bread and cloth, women have
Their self- esteem to pay,
Tell me, Oh my Valentine,
How do celebrate the day!

How do I celebrate the night
With chicken roasted red,
When hungry children cry all the night
for a single piece of bread,
When a jobless brother in frustrations
Has to take the gun in hand,
Tell me, how I roam with thee
In gay hand in hand!

When the lanes of my childhood
Are devoid of bird’s song,
When drops of blood appear in the garden
Of flower and corn,
When stronger ones exploit the weak
And make them live in mourn,
Tell me, how I celebrate
The Valentine’s Day dawn!

Go, go my valentine,
Come not me near,
My life has been darkened by
My people’s grief and fear-

Perhaps in some other life,
I would be born to see,
My people free from fear and grief,
playing in the world with glee-

On that day my Valentine,
We will all laugh and enjoy,
By singing songs of liberty,
Love and joy.

1 comment:

Gitesh said...

Why to blame Valentine and not celebrate it when all the sorrow and pain is result of deeds by our own people?
I appreciate and admire your thoughts though. Good Poem.

 
Follow on Buzz
stat counter